Clean your PC up
So your computer is not working properly? Assuming you have had Symantec Endpoint Protection (antivirus) running on your
computer, if not: Scan for viruses and you have some Spyware package remover like Windows Defender
running, again if not: Scan for spyware then here are some things to try to get your computer
running smoothly again. Proceed thru these steps UNTIL the virus is gone.
- Run MalWareBytes to find malware programs running on your computer. You can then
remove the problem malware(s). This takes about 10-20 minutes to run.
- Some items we know the scans(Scan for viruses / Scan for spyware) DO NOT REMOVE but do identify. If identified, remove with the following
instructions. Any of these take about 15 minutes to run. Do not run any of these if Symantec/Defender has not identified them, skip to step 3.
- Run System Restore to return to an earlier version
of Windows before the problem started. This takes about 15 minutes to run.
- For other items Symantec identified but cannot automatically remove, if Symantec has not identified any, skip to step 5. You must manually find and follow the threat removal
instructions. First look under the "Current Threats at VT" on the
antivirus homepage. Find the threat name and click on its link.
If the name of your threat is not on the Virginia Tech site, go to
Symantec's Site where you can look up threats by name.
This takes about 20-30 minutes per threat.
(Some threat removal requires you to edit the Windows registry. Click here
for instructions on using regedit, if needed.)
- Run HijackThis to find all programs that are running on your computer. You can then
remove the problem program(s). This takes about 20 minutes to run.
Once your computer is "CLEANED UP", we recommend you change all your computer passwords(email,banking,etc).
If your computer is still having problems, a reformat is needed. This usually takes about 2 hours to complete.